Friday, February 27, 2009

Moments that make you think

Wow so last night was intresting. I signed our family up for a parenting class for children ages 10-14.. Last night was our second class. During these classes Miss Katie goes to The Resource center were she plays twister and musical chairs for 2 hours while we are hard at work on IMPROVING our communication skills with our 10 year old... I think she has the better half of the deal.
I signed up for the classes because I always think their is room for improvement and even if you only learn just one thing: You're growing and isn't that what were all here for.
Anyways My husband hasn't been to hip on it cause well he thinks things are fine and he's right, they are, but as I said theirs always room for improvement. He being the wonderful husband that he is knew it was important to me so he goes and even participates.. Sam Hates it!
Sam oh Sam my wonderful Sam.. Sam is an intresting kid. Already talking about college and politics.. Ya hes a diffent kinda dude.. He's also very stubborn. So in his stubborness last night he decided he didn't want to be at the class. So things turn sour.
He is huffing and puffing, not looking at us, saying things under his breath sitting with his arms crossed. Finally he says he's outta there and gets up and walks out.. UGH! There are those moments as a parent when you just find yourself not knowing the answer and that was one of them.. Anyways being that I am friend with the instructors I frustratingly said "This is why I am here!" " How do I deal with this"! So I got up and followed him out of the class he tried to hide in the boys bathroom then learned quickly I have know shame when I walked in..
stil stubborn he refuse to come back to class. I tell him not to leave the building and I go back to the room. After a small talk with my husband we decide not to expend any more energy or attention to him and continue with what we are doing..
Our assignment to make a family shield. One that contains four of our families core values. Whew.. Alright we can do that would be funner if Sam was helping but okay Brad and I will just do it.. Of course you know my head is soooooo not in the game.
We whip a shield up our four values we list are; Hard work, Education, Honesty, and working together as a family. Blah Blah... We present it to the class most parents present theirs with their kids helping and reading theirs. Sam has decided to grace us with his presence again but just returns to his seat. Brad and I are left to present our shield ourselves.. ho hum.. I'm ready to go home.
Next we all get in a circle at the end of class. Each Family says what one of their familys core values are.. The circle come round to us... um.. My minds not in the game.
Sam speaks up... "Mom, can I pick it?"
Oh great I am thinking what is he gonna say..
"um ya sure Sam go ahead"
Everyone is watching and waiting cause here is this kid thats just been a pill for the last 2 hours and he stands their quietly for a second..
Then The teacher says "okay Sam whats one value your family has and he pauses and then says " LOVE, my family has love..."
Well I have to admit this hit a nerve and I started to cry like a big baby I was embarrased till I looked around and saw a few others weeping to.. Kids they can be so frustrating and then they say something thats just so obvious....It feels like it smacks you right in the head..

1 comment:

  1. OMGsh this is why I Blog! Parents that livve through and survive those moments where you think how if in the eff am I supposed to do THIS ONE! bravo for not letting Sam run the show for you. learn it NOW as you seem to have and it will be easier later when they choose to NOT stay in the bldg. gah! You handled that so freakin well! Focusing on the class???? I would have been so pissed and irritated and consumed with the situation But that why we have supportive husbands right!

    ReplyDelete