Sunday, May 3, 2009

Forgiveness I wrote this quite a while back but more recently some things have taken place and the subject comes up again


Here is a subject I have been thinking about much lately. Forgiveness sounds so simple . LIke you say it and it is just done.. However thats not the case. It’s an exercise. The phrase "to forgive and forget"
It’s all wrong. No one ever really forgets maybe it should be "to forgive and let go". That makes much more sense to me.
In Everyones life we have things happen, wrong doings to ourselves or to those we love around us. These things can sometimes haunt us. I speak from personal experience on this one. Personally I have had somethings happen or been a part of that I have not learned to let go of. That I still chew on like a bitter root. This does me no good just weighs on me. And sadly those involved have no idea and no care in the world, they lose no sleep..So now I have a choice to make. If I choose to hang on and be mad angry sad I am the ONLY ONE affected. Crazy isn’t it! So I am going to forgive. Understanding that there isn’t always an answer or an explanation.
I am LEARNING to Forgive. At first I thought NO WAY! Forgive screw that! But then I realize that forgiving doesn’t mean condoning. It doesn’t mean that what happened was okay. Just the act of forgiveness alone means there was some wrongdoing. This is an exercise of the heart and will and spirit Everyday it’s easier some days a little tougher but it’s about the concious decision to say I forgive not condone I understand there are things I am not suppose to understand and I can except that. You forgive for yourself allowing your own spirit to release the hauntings that hound it.
This is pretty hard to wrap my brain around but I guess that when you leave it up to the guy upstairs...
here is wikipedias definition Forgiveness is the mental and/or spiritual process of ceasing to feel resentment, indignation or anger against another person for a perceived offense, difference or mistake, or ceasing to demand punishment or restitution[1].
Something to think about don’t you think?

1 comment:

  1. I go back and forth w/ this one myself. I think though, its a back and forth where each time I let go a little more and release a little more resentment. Forgive and Forget I guess is the goal. However, whether it be a learning curve thing , or some other internal struggle, It has never been an easy thing for me either. I'm WAY better at offences committed to my adult self, than that of my childhood. I can for give nearly ANYTHING as an adult. I think I continue to mourn the things that happened as a child. I have to continue to remind myself NOT to mourn any of it as a loss. Decidedly I have committed to myself that regardless of what happened here or there...I LIKE who I became? As I let go more, I am feeling my wings to stretch out. I am beginning to test their capacity to make me fly to the heights of which I dared never dream...As that broken little girl. Forgiveness has been providing me...as I let it, the opportunity to see more possibilities for myself.
    I agree w/ you its the mastering of the forgiveness dosent= condon...It simply me recognizing that if I dont let some things go I am allowing these things to define me. Like moms proverbial heh-heh and literal buckets of rocks. What heights can be expected for a person to reach with a bucket of rocks in each hand.

    ReplyDelete